Below procedure will work normally for cisco 2900XL , 3500XL , 2940 , 2950 , 2960 , 2970 , 3560 , 3750 series switches and for other models few minor changes will be required.
If you are looking for cisco switch password recovery then you can read below post:
- Unplug the power cable from switch.
- Hold the MODE button. (MODE button is generally located on the left of front panel)
- Connect the power cable.
- Release the MODE
- If you are using 2900XL or 3500XL then release the mode button once SYST LED blinks green.
- If you are using 2940 or 2950 then release the mode button after approximately 5 seconds when STAT LED goes out. STAT LED will blink AMBER after release the mode button.
- If you are using 2960 or 2970 then release the mode button once SYST LED blinks AMBER and turns solid green. SYST LED will blink green after release the MODE button.
- If you are using 3560 or 3750 then release the mode button after approximately 15 seconds When SYST LED blinks solid green. SYST LED will blink green after release the MODE button.
- Enter the Flash_init command
- Enter the load_helper command
- Enter the dir flash: command
- Rename the file name by entering rename flash:config.txt flash:config.old
- Enter the boot command
- Enter the n to continue with configuration
- Enter in privileged mode by entering enable command
- Rename the file name by entering rename flash:config.old flash:config.txt
- Move the file into running comfig file by entering copy flash:config.txt sytem:running.config
- Change the passwords which you want. Below is the example
Switch(config)# enable secret [email protected]
Switch(config)# line vty 0 4
- Save the configuration by entering write memory command
All above steps are taken from real environment and tested. but please notice on cisco switch model because MODE button behaves differently with switch models.
Thanks for reading …………
For router password recovery, please read my another post. you can find that post from menu.
Good explanation !