In traditional networking, routing is accomplished through the use of static or dynamic routing protocols. These protocols determine the best path for network traffic to travel based on factors such as hop count, bandwidth, and network congestion. While this approach has worked well for many years, it can be complex to manage and scale, especially as networks become more distributed and cloud-based.
To address these challenges, Cisco developed Viptela SD-WAN, a software-defined networking (SDN) solution that uses a centralized controller to manage and optimize network traffic. This approach offers several advantages over traditional routing:
- Simplified Management: With Viptela SD-WAN, administrators can manage the entire network from a centralized dashboard, making it easier to configure and troubleshoot network devices.
- Dynamic Path Selection: Viptela SD-WAN can dynamically route traffic based on network conditions, such as available bandwidth and latency. This ensures that applications receive the best possible performance, even in complex, multi-site networks.
- Security: Viptela SD-WAN provides advanced security features, such as encrypted tunnels and firewalls, to protect the network from cyber threats.
- Cloud Integration: Viptela SD-WAN can integrate with cloud-based services, such as AWS and Azure, to ensure that applications running in the cloud receive the same level of performance and security as those running on-premises.
- Cost Savings: Viptela SD-WAN can reduce costs by leveraging low-cost internet connections for non-critical traffic, while reserving expensive MPLS connections for critical applications.
here are five more differences between traditional routing and Cisco Viptela SD-WAN:
- Transport Independence: Viptela SD-WAN is transport-agnostic, which means it can be deployed over any type of network connection, including broadband, LTE, and MPLS. This allows organizations to leverage multiple transport options to improve network reliability and cost-effectiveness.
- Application-Aware Routing: Unlike traditional routing, which typically relies on basic traffic information to determine the best path, Viptela SD-WAN uses deep packet inspection and application visibility to identify and prioritize traffic based on application requirements.
- Centralized Policy Management: Viptela SD-WAN allows administrators to define and enforce network policies from a central location, providing greater control and consistency across the entire network.
- Zero-Touch Provisioning: Viptela SD-WAN streamlines deployment by enabling administrators to remotely configure and provision network devices without the need for onsite visits.
- Analytics and Insights: Viptela SD-WAN provides real-time analytics and visibility into network performance, allowing administrators to identify and address issues before they impact application performance or user experience. This enables organizations to proactively optimize their networks for better performance, reliability, and security.
In summary, Viptela SD-WAN offers a more agile and scalable approach to network routing than traditional methods. By providing a centralized controller, dynamic path selection, and advanced security features, it simplifies network management, enhances performance, and reduces costs.